The Northumberland County Forest is home to a variety of wildlife, including coyotes. While there have been no reports of aggressive coyote behaviour towards Forest visitors, there have been occasional sightings along the trail network.
Northumberland County Forest Services is therefore reminding community members about steps to take should you encounter a coyote:
· Never approach, touch or attempt to feed a wild animal—keep your distance and the animal will most likely avoid you. .
· Do not turn your back or run from a wild animal—back away from the animal while remaining calm.
· Stand tall, wave your hands, and make lots of noise.
· Keep pets on a leash and do not let your pet chase a coyote as it could result in injury to your pet.
· Carry a flashlight at night.
If a wild animal poses an immediate threat or danger to public safety — call 911.
To report coyote sightings in the County Forest, please email email@example.com or call 905-372-3329 x2303. For more information on preventing and managing conflicts with coyotes, access helpful resources from the Government of Ontario at Ontario.ca/Coyotes.